LŌKAHI AND TREASURED TOGETHERNESS

He waiwai nui ka lōkāhi. Unity is a precious possession. 977

Pukui, Mary Kawena, (1983). ʻŌlelo Noʻeau

ALOHA FOCUS FOR THE WEEK: LŌKAHI

Growing up, our extended family chipped in to rent a beach house on the North Shore one weekend every summer. Although we frequently got-together for dinner and family parties, going to the beach house was a treasured event. We spent all day fishing and playing along the shore. My aunties played their ukulele as we sang old songs by the campfire. Then we stayed up late into the night playing cards, talking and laughing.

My relatives from the continent planned their vacations around beach house weekend. We brought friends to join in the fun. The celebration seemed to grow each year with more people added to crowd of revelers. Now whenever I drive by the North Shore and see the old house we rented, I am in disbelief that it could hold so many people. Yet it still evokes feelings of fondness for my family mixed in with a bit of melancholy. 

After Hurricane Iwa slammed into the islands, my family stopped renting the beach house. One of my aunties became fearful that we would be caught unprepared and swept out to sea. While we still gathered to go fishing and celebrate special events, the frequency seemed to drop especially as my cousins got older. Our moments together seemed much more brief, much more intermittent.

While my family strives to remain close, some cousins have moved further away and less frequently visit. Some have even stopped seeing each other, letting minor disagreements fester into a mammoth-like wedge. As with it happens with many, people grow apart. The longer the time we spend separated and greater the distance between us, the harder it is to remain emotionally close. Friendships drift and relatives become strangers. 

The time spent at the beach house, albeit only three days out of the year, somehow bridged any divides. We didn’t talk about our feelings or told each other “I love you.” (It was the 70s. We are Japanese.) However, being together for 72 hours straight, squeezed into a small space, enjoying shared experiences deepened our appreciation for our family. And it was enough to keep us close.

5 PURSUITS of LŌKAHI

Inspired by Gholdy Muhammad

In honor of Black History Month, I will be featuring stories written by and featuring people of African descent. 

Please watch Kamala and Maya’s Big Idea written and read by Meena Harris also illustrated by Ana Ramírez González. Then with you child, answer the following:

• IDENTITY: Talk about something your family, neighbors, and/or community have come together to create something. What was that like? How did you overcome any obstacles that stood in your way? Why was this important to your ʻohana/community?
  • SKILLS: What genre of literature does this book fall into? What is the evidence for your answer?
  • INTELLECT: The Kamala featured in this book is based on our Vice-President Kamala Harris. Research her journey to becoming the first woman, the first Black American, and the first South Asian American to win the vice-presidency of the United States.
  • CRITICALITY: Kamala’s mother would tell her, “You may be the first to do many things, but make sure you are not the last.” What meaning does this quote have for you, especially in making this world a better place?
  • JOY:  Host a potluck where everyone is able to share and celebrate each other’s contributions. It could be a simple one, for example, where everyone brings different toppings for your Spam musubi. 

KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION AND GES

The deadline for submitting kindergarten GEs is this Friday, March 1, 2024.

All kindergarten GEs received after the deadline will be placed on a waiting list and will be accepted as space becomes available.

Beyond, March 1, we will continue to accept applications for kindergarten for children turning 5 by July 31, 2024. 

We are also accepting Geographic Exceptions (GE), for students entering grades 1 through 6. If you have any questions about registering your child, please call me or our registration clerk, Brigette Leavy, at 305-0000.

HOʻOMAIKAʻI CPAC KIDSTART CAST

A well deserved congratulations to our Kāneʻohe Menehune for their part in presenting Sponge Bob Square Pants Jr for this year’s CPAC Kidstart show. Please join me in thanking and congratulating the following students and their ʻohana:

Kaeten Miyashiro Manatad, Kameron Goohue-Souza-Kaululaa, Kobe Bruhn, Sariah Ava, Ariana Tanoye, Grezyn Nagao, and Makalehua Pelletier!

CPAC Director, Karen Meyer also wants to let families know they are once again offering Saturday classes. Please see the flyer for more information.

INSTILL A LOVE OF HISTORY IN KIDS

As Black History Month comes to a close this week, I would encourage all to continue to learn about and celebrate the accomplishments of those who aren’t always featured when we study history. The National Association of Elementary Principals gives a few tips on how you might do this:

CONTINUED PRACTICES:

NOʻAHUNA OF ALOHA

See Uncle Pono Shim explain the Noʻahuna, the esoteric meaning, of Aloha as taught to him by Aunty Pilahi, the Keeper of Secrets.

WEAR PINK FOR MAUI WEDNESDAYS

Join us in letting “that light, that divine inspiration that Aunty Pilahi Paki says is given to you at your very beginning, come through and let your ALOHA join with the ALOHA of the collective to bring about healing.” 

DAILY VIRTUAL PIKO

At the Daily Piko, we share thoughts on the Aloha value for the week which helps us become centered and ready to learn. We begin at 8 AM everyday except Wednesdays.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Wed, Feb 28, 2024 5 – 6 PMSchool Community Council Meeting
Join by Zoom
Wed, Feb 28, 2024 6 – 7 PMKES Ohana Meeting
Join by Zoom
Wed, Mar 13, 2024 4:30 – 5:30Wellness Meeting
Join by Zoom
Fri, Mar 15, 2024KES Fun Run
Mar 18 – 22, 2024Spring Break